The Hash Commandments:
- The GM is always right
- When the GM is wrong, Rule 1 applies
- The RA is always right except when Rule 1 applies and there shall be no discussion.
- The RA checks on proper behaviour before, during and between runs. It is left to the RA's discretion as to whether he/she will ignore any transgression, give a private reprimand or make a charge.
If a charge is made a penalty will automatically follow.
- The penalty for any transgression is one down-down, except when the charge is severe, when a penalty with shame shall apply. A penalty with shame is a down-down taken kneeling down
(or sitting on ice if any can be spared).
- Beer is to be drunk when down-downing or poured over your own head. Excessive waste may result in a second down-down with shame and may even be taken in water.
- No whingers, moaners or pretending to have a broken leg!
- With joyous heart, every Hasher over 12 yrs. will give Hash Cash Rs 150 every run. Covers beer, softies, ice, down-downs etc. The last to pay will be named and shamed.
- Anyone having knowledge of a transgression by a fellow Hasher may make a charge during the down-downs. A charge will always result in a penalty for either the accused, the accuser, or both,
at the discretion of the RA. Charges from the pack can be defended, but poor defence will result in a penalty with shame (see Rule 5).
- Intelligence is neither required or appreciated on the Hash. Thinking on the run is a punishable offence.
- Short-cutting is allowed. Being caught short cutting is a serious offence however (see Rule 10). A short-cutter will be known as an SCB (Short Cutting Bastard).
- At more or less regular intervals, every Hasher will be asked to set a run. Since being a Hare is a great honour, refusals are neither expected nor accepted.
If the run is passably good, the Hares will be awarded a down-down. If the run or anything about the run is considered to be below standard for MH3, the Hares may face the great dis-honour of the Hash-Shit .
- Hashers should make as much noise as possible. Silent running is a punishable offence.
- Sooner or later a hasher will do something stupid. He will hence be given a Hash Name to suit his stupidity. He will subsequently be known only by this Hash Name. Failure to observe this rule will result in a charge
- The Hash has Internationally accepted forms of communication on the run:- When ON flour shout 'On-On'. When Checking shout 'Checking'. When calling someone back to the correct trail shout 'On Back'.
All calling must be at an appropriately high decibel level. Hashers caught shouting 'On-On' when not in sight of flour will be charged with misleading the Hash. (See Rule 23).
- All Hashers should be strongly committed to the Hash and attend gatherings whenever possible. Irregular attendance will be noticed and charged. (i.e. two consecutive absences).
- The Hash is a non-competitive run through the local countryside in order to encourage a thirst for beer that should already exist. Aggressive running is totally banned and is a punishable offence.
Aggressive runners will be called FRB's (Front Running Bastards). Persistent FRB's may be awarded a large, gassy down-down of Sprite prior to a run to curb their enthusiasm.
- We will respect property and will not litter. No crop bashing will occur during the run. Down-down with shame to the offenders.
- Stationary checking or refusal to check when so required by the RA will undoubtedly result in a charge.
- If the cars are sighted on the run, then the run is officially over and the Hash may proceed to the beer by the most direct route.
- Leading the Hash astray is easy. However, the perpetrator of this crime will surely be made to suffer.
- The rules are not comprehensive and therefore rule 23 applies.
- The GM can add, delete or change, any rule, at any time. No public announcement will be deemed necessary, however transgressions will still result in a charge.
- The Hash is democratic and fair but all will obey the GM (or his wife) in all matters